Tech
Trending

Little-Known Story of 2 Men Who Founded KPLC

It is difficult to imagine that Kenya didn’t have any electricity or power until a little over a century ago.

Due to its monopolistic business practices and steadily rising prices, the corporation, formerly Kenya Power and Lighting Corporation (KPLC), has recently come under fire from customers.

So little is, however, known of the two men who came together, from their generator ventures, to create the dominant power distribution company.

According to Kenya Power history books, the first-ever inkling of street lights hit the Coastal town of Mombasa in 1875, when the second Sultan of Zanzibar, Sayyid Barghash bin Said Al-Busaid, bought a generator to light up his palace as well as the streets neighboring it.

Mr Clement Hertzel who founded Nairobi Electric Power and Lighting Syndicate.
 TWITTER
 KENYA POWER

The generator was later purchased by Harrali Esmailjee Jeevanjee in 1908, who transferred it for use in the then-Mombasa Electric Power and Lighting Company. Jevanjee was a wealthy merchant located in Mombasa.

At around the same time, another Engineer known as Clement Hertzel, who had arrived in East Africa via South Africa, had set up the Nairobi Power and Lighting Syndicate and had been given the right to supply electricity to Nairobi, which was just a district at the time.

Hertzel had a storied rise in Nairobi since arriving in 1904. In 1905, he formed the Nairobi Power and Lighting Syndicate company alongside Charles Udall as Chief Engineer and R.C. Bayldon as the Managing Director.

The company then built a Hydroelectric generation facility on Ruiru River and in 1908, it started supplying power to various neighborhoods in Nairobi.

A dozen years later, the two companies joined forces, in 1922, under the East African Power and Lighting Company (EAP&L) which then pursued expansion drives into Uganda and Tanganyika.

In 1932, the company acquired a controlling interest in the Tanganyika Electricity Supply Company Limited (TANESCO), and four years later, it also made its entry into Uganda after acquiring the necessary licenses.

In 1948, the Ugandan government, however, established its power distribution board known as The Uganda Electricity Board (UEB) after the landlocked country began the construction of Owen Falls Dam.

After the Dam’s completion, Kenya then created the Kenya Power Company (KPC), which was under EAP&L to help transmit the power from Uganda through the Juja line.

10 years later, the company also sold its shares in TANESCO, and in 1983, the company was renamed Kenya Power and Lighting Company Limited (KPLC).

Kenya attempted to separate the transmission and distribution division of KPLC from the electricity-producing division in 1997. KPLC was afterward renamed Kenya Electricity Generating Company (KenGen).

The state, in 2004, then created the Energy Sector Recovery Project (ESRP) to improve the quality and reliability of supply, reduce system losses and increase access to electricity. In its quest to have electricity distributed to rural areas, the Rural Electrification Authority (REA) was created in 2007 followed by Kenya Electricity Transmission Company (KETRACO) in 2008.

In 2011, the Kenya Power and Lighting Company was rebranded to Kenya Power.

KenGen Geothermal Plaza in Nakuru County.
 CAPITAL GROUP

Related Articles

Back to top button